- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound collard greens, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped (canned works fine here also)
- Vegan sausage or bacon (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until slightly softened (about 2 minutes)
- Add red pepper flakes and garlic, cook 1 minute
- Add collard greens, cook 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable stock.
- Cover the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until greens are tender (about 40-45 minutes)
- Add tomatoes and browned vegan sausage or bacon.
- Cook 5-10 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper to taste