- 1 lb dried lima or butter beans
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Vegan style bacon or sausage (optional)
- Soak beans overnight or for at least 8 hours. Strain and rinse after soaking.
- Place rinsed beans into pot with lid and add enough water to cover about an inch above the beans.
- Add onions and brown sugar to pot and partially cover pot with lid.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook beans until tender (about 1 1/2 hours)
- When beans become tender, add salt, pepper, and browned vegan style bacon or sausage
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes.