- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds fresh okra
- 2 cup soy or almond milk
- Oil for frying
- Cut off and discard tip and stem ends from okra and cut into 1⁄2-inch-thick slices.
- Stir okra into soy or almond milk. Cover and chill 45 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a medium bowl.
- Remove okra from soy or almond milk and dredge into cornmeal-flour mixture to coat well.
- Add okra to hot oil and cook until golden brown.
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot!