- 16 ounces dried black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 box of vegan bacon**
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavor or 1 tbs powdered smoke flavor (optional)
- Soak black-eyed peas overnight. Drain, rinse and pat dry.
- Add oil to pot. Add bacon or sausage and brown.
- Add chopped red onion, minced garlic and black-eyed peas to bacon or sausage mixture.
- Stir occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
- Add enough water to cover bean mixture by 1 inch.
- Add black pepper and smoke flavor
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat for 1 1/2 -2 hours, adding water as needed (The time depends on the consistency you like your beans)
- When cooking has completed, salt, pepper and/or hot sauce to taste.
** Other options for vegan bacon: 1 bag of sausage-style meatless crumbles or 1 package of Gimme Lean sausage